Instagram reels, are taking over the platform. As announced recently, all videos less than 15 minutes will be considered reels on Instagram. Sound familiar? Cough cough – TikTok. It should.
The question is, what does this mean for you or your brand? What does it mean for your video content and it’s performance?
Here’s the gist that matters:
- According to search engine land and Instagram: ”When your Reels are posted to a public profile, they may be eligible and recommended for more people to see. This also allows other users to Remix, edit, and add their own spin on the videos using Instagram’s built-in tools like templates and a new Dual feature that records your front and back cameras simultaneously.”
- “Moving forward they’ll also consolidate the video and Reels tab to create one tab for all of your feed videos.” – Later Blog has stated.
- In addition according to Later Blog: there will now be 3 forms of video content to choose from for your creation purposes:
- According to Adweek – “Reels creators can now choose between a green screen, a horizontal or vertical split-screen or picture-in-picture reaction view to add their own video commentary to existing Reels.” In addition templates will be available for use of creators if they so choose to go that route.
- But what about photos? According to Social Media Today – “Remix for photos: Photos are core to the Instagram experience. In the coming weeks, you will be able to remix public photos. This gives you limitless inspiration to create your own unique reel.”
Why should you care about Reels? According to Social Insider: “In 2022, for example, Instagram Reels have an average engagement rate of 1.95%, which is at least double compared to the other post types.”
- You can’t rely on images alone on Instagram
- Want a cheat: Some users re-post their tiktok reels on Instagram as an easy win – however – you should consider that the two platforms have different audiences, and your brand may need a different strategy for each
- You need a creative and video expert in-house or outsourced to ensure you don’t get lost in the feed (figuratively and literally).
- You need a refreshed instagram strategy (and in turn Facebook)
- Your brand needs to determine if instagram is still where you want to be and concentrate your efforts (and budget)
- Your brand needs to consider influencer content and if that makes sense to help your brand be seen and cut through the clutter
- Spend and measurement is not just a choice, but a necessity
And stay up to date with Instagram… because there’s always a new update.